It is 05:30. I cannot sleep. Clearly better, longer sleep should be on my to do list of self betterment, but sleeping is like pooping, sometimes it just doesn’t happen when you think it should.
However, there are things that are under my control, such as fitness and nutrition. I’ve decided that this year I will not focus on my weight or the presence/absence of washboard abs (a resolution I’m sure will last all of five minutes), as these will come as I focus on my goals to maintain a truly healthy lifestyle. To that end, here are my goals:
- Jump rope every day for at least five minutes. Having just recently completed Todd Kuslikis’ 30 Day Jump Rope Challenge, I realized that I can always fit in 5 minutes of jump rope. So I am now challenging myself, and whoever wants to join me, to jump my way through 5775.
- Complete 10 strict, dead-hang pull-ups. WIth a lot of help from Manuel over at Motus Virtue, I can already do one. What’s nine more? That’s less than one extra pull up per month.
- Five full range headstand pushups against a wall. I can do five half-range headstand pushups, and one full negative.
- Hold a 30 freestanding handstand. I can average a minute against the wall, and a two minute yoga headstand against the wall. This should be totally doable with consistent practice.
- I want to say learn one cool calisthenic trick, such as the front elbow lever or human flag, but I don’t want to bite off more than I can chew. Still will invest in this awsome package after my next paycheck and then go mad with information overload.
Non-fitness things I’d like to accomplish this year are:
- Pick a degree that would satisfy me mentally and emotionally. Something I could make a career of and not want to kill myself studying (ahem, engineering). Currently looking into a sports and wellness program at Wingate Institute.
- Work on my business idea. I really do have one, but it’s a secret right now. And it has nothing to do with that time I spent in Jewish Circus Camp.
- Write more. And not just to update on my progress in three months time, but for real real. But also to update on my progress in three months time. Because now we’re accountabili-buddies.
I wish everyone a fruitful 5775 (holla for palindrome year!). Would love to hear what your goals are for the upcoming year!